On the 22 June 1948, about fifty British soldiers from the camp, the monastery and the “Stella Maris” Hospice, assembled on the esplanade in front of the Statue of Our Lady of Chile: the Union Jack was hauled down to the sound of trumpets, the soldiers lined up and marched away on foot, down “Stella Maris” Road, through Carmel (now Ben Gurion) Avenue to the port of Haifa, from where they embarked for England. The British Mandate had ended.
Elias Friedman, O.C.D.
Our quote of the day for 15 May 2021 provides more detail concerning life at Stella Maris during the British Mandate.
Featured image: Project, The Palestine. LIFE Magazine: Palestine 1948 — rare photo collection. medium.com, 16 May 2018, https://medium.com/@thepalestineproject/life-magazine-rare-photos-of-palestine-1948-d80e83d4929. Accessed 21 June 2021.